Whether you’re relocating quickly or steadily and planned; whether you’re moving locally or cross-state; whether you’re a DIY type of person or rely on pro kits – you will need at least a few boxes to pack items. The most popular ongoing debate is, however, what would be a better choice – plastic containers or good ol’ cardboard?
Let’s try to weigh out whether cardboard or plastic moving boxes are a better choice. What are the pros and cons of both? We’ll use a few criteria and check the advantages and disadvantages of both by them.
- Waterproof – a clear winner in this category would be plastic. Cardboard can easily soak up the water so relocating those boxes in the rain might turn into a nightmare. Plastic will safeguard the items in it, and you won’t have to be afraid of damp or rainy weather.
- Low-cost – if you’re looking for a more budget-friendly option, old-fashioned cardboard boxes are your friend. Unlike plastic bins, you can even find some cardboard boxes for free! However, you can rent plastic bins as well, but it’s still pricier than the cardboard boxes.
- Eco-friendly – this might go both ways. On the one hand, plastic is not easily biodegradable, and we all know it. But! What surprised many netizens was the fact that while producing cardboard boxes, factories release more greenhouse gases than for the plastic. Also, plastic bins are reusable so the plastic can get a point for this one, too.
- Resistance to bugs – when storing our precious home items, we have to consider the pest. Many miniature organisms can ‘attack’ our belongings, and plastic surely takes the win in protecting the items.
- Overall safety – plastic bins are much sturdier and safer to store the valuables. Cardboard is their weaker opponent in this category, too, since it’s easy to bend and get damaged.
At the end of the day, you will choose the best option for yourself. May the move be smooth and your mood elevated!